Pages

Eliza Lynn Taylor

Eliza Lynn Taylor
Eliza Lynn Taylor Freelance Writer

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Microsoft Grammer and Spell Check

Okay, I can't be the only one who gets extremely frustrated with the grammer and spell check function from Microsoft. Everyday I am typing away and it underlines sentences in the notes I am typing. I right click and it says it is a sentence fragment and that I need to reword it, only of course since I am typing other peoples dictation I can't do that. However, I diagram the sentences and they actually are not fragments for the most part. Counselors and doctors do tend to dictate in fragments and strug together prepositional phrases, but it decides just about every sentence is a fragment, even if it isn't. It does that with my manuscripts at home too, and I can change those, but they, ninety-nine percent of time, are not fragments. (I just diagrammed the last sentence to double check, by the way.)

I have to wonder where these programmers went to school to learn language arts. I think they went where I did for the first couple years of my education - Tallahassee. They had workbooks with clear plastic overlays where we circled the answers. When we moved in the middle of my third grade year I was surprised that the small town had actual text books for elementary school students and we had to write down sentences and fill in the blanks with the correct answers. In later sections we were diagramming sentences. We didn't do that in Tallahassee. I have relatives who have gone to school there (and other large city schools)  and they can't put a sentence together to save their lives either. We diagrammed ad nauseum until I got out of high school. I asked a niece if she had ever done that and she had no clue what I was talking about. Spelling was the same way. We had to learn to spell words, not shortened versions of the words, and we knew how to use a dictionary. I find myself constantly adding words to the computer dictionary and while I do understand that they can't possibly put every word in the dictionary, there are basic everyday words that should be in there as a matter of course and aren't.

The so-called experts doing the programming on these grammer and spell check programs need a refresher course in how to judge a sentence. It often gives the most rediculous explanations as to why it thinks a sentence is incorrect that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual sentence. I check just for kicks once in a while for the explanation and then the only kick I get is one I give myself for having clicked the exlanation box in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment