Pages

Eliza Lynn Taylor

Eliza Lynn Taylor
Eliza Lynn Taylor Freelance Writer

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Enough is Enough- Where I Buy My Prescriptions is Not the Government's Business



Ever since the government implemented it's totally unconstitutional law stating we as citizens of the United States, a country that takes great pride in being free enterprise, are not allowed to buy our prescriptions anywhere we please our prescriptions have gone up, way up. I can give you examples of what I am talking about.

I use an albuteral inhaler, as needed, for asthma. It went from $42.00 to $74.00 and that was at Wal-Mart. My husband was put on Plavix (Clopidigrel) a few years ago. We were told by the doctor to get the generic because the name brand was too expensive. It is what the hospital dispenses so there is actually a generic. I was told by several pharmacies that there is no such thing as a generic and they didn't know what the doctor was talking about. They didn't appreciate my comeback, we'll just say that. Where is hospital getting it? The cost of the name brand is $200.00 for thirty (30) pills. I checked online at Canadian pharmacies, even though we are not allowed to shop them as mandated by the pharmaceutical companies- oops, I mean Congress. The cost is $134.00 (rounded off) for two hundred (200) doses. What?! (Can't arrest you for looking!- Yet.) He also takes Methotrexate for his arthritis. That went up from $41.00 a month to $76.00 a month also, and when we asked for a paper prescription so we could shop around for a better deal the doctor refused unless we drove an hour a month (one way) to pick up the prescription a month at a time because there are too many people getting their medications from Canada. Well, imagine that. He couldn't outright deny a paper prescription; that is illegal, but he can place restrictions on how we get it. He should be ashamed of himself. When my husband told me what he told him, I told him it was a good thing I wasn't with him. I would have embarrassed him to no end and I would have asked the doctor who was in his wallet. Seriously, once that prescription is out of his office, it is none of his business where we get it filled whether it is in Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, or Timbuktu. That is completely our business as consumers in a supposedly consumer-driven economy. It is not the government's business either, thank you very much.

I will never be convinced that Big Pharma didn't pay for that law that only they benefit from, because we Americans certainly do not. Other people may have a small co-pay with their insurance to get their prescriptions, but others, like ours, require its participants to keep the receipts and send them in once a year and then they decide how much they will reimburse for them, if at all; sometimes they decide the medication isn't covered, unbeknownst to us. That doesn't help the many people who don't have the exorbitant amount in the first place. It still leads to a food or medications decision every month.

There are probably a lot of people who will say I am un-American or anti-government. I assure you I am as all-American as they come. When I worked in a building that displayed the American flag, I said the Pledge of Allegiance every day with my hand over my heart. I am anti-bought-and-paid-for by (any) business government, and that is what we have come to have in the recent years. Am I alone in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment