Pages

Eliza Lynn Taylor

Eliza Lynn Taylor
Eliza Lynn Taylor Freelance Writer

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Odd Phenomenon? Or Just Good Reading?

This morning was like any other freezing, cold morning in Wisconsin, except it wasn't actually snowing and it wasn't overcast, as it has been a lot lately. The closer I got to town the more I saw a strange thing that most would have thought was quite lovely and amazing. Light was dancing around like billions of tiny mirrors floating though the sky. It fairly snowed with it, only it wasn't snowing. It actually was quite distracting, and driving down an icy road, distractions one doesn't need. Still, even though I did keep my mind on driving, this otherwise lovely phenomena was strangely unsettling. I couldn't put my finger on it. Finally, I arrived at my job (a little early) and I was able to just concentrate on the massive swarm of glitter in the air. Glitter. That's when it hit me. Maybe I read too much, or maybe I just have way to good an imagination, or I should switch to decaf, but it reminded me of something; I just had to figure out what. There was something down deep in the recesses of my mind I had to retrieve. I must have looked totally ridiculous standing there with all my stuff that I haul into the office everyday, not moving, my eyes darting around just studying the glitter dust floating in the air. I wondered if it would get into my lungs, although most likely it was just caused by moisture in the air from the local paper factory freezing and reflecting the sunlight. I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

At last my frozen brain remembered what it was trying so hard to pull to the forefront. Several years ago I read a science fiction book by Michael Creighton called Prey. They described clouds of nano-particles that resemble glass dust or glitter, floating through the air as would a cloud of insects. Theses nano-particles invaded individuals, copied them exactly and then killed off the host while they pretended to be the person, animal, object, they replicated. They were supposed to go in and cure diseases, but instead began thinking for themselves and craving power. It was quite strange. And then of course all I heard about everywhere was nano-technology this and nano-technology that, and it was really creepy. One develops a real appreciation for the science fiction writer, because as anyone who has ever been exposed to Star Trek knows, science fiction is only fictitious until someone comes up with a way to make that non-existent invention reality. If you need evidence of that just think of cell phones and Bluetooth technology, or earwigs that hear and transmit in the same nearly unseen piece of equipment.

Not enough sleep? Too much coffee?  Maybe. I don't know. But...here's to good reading and great imaginations that stick with you even when you're finished with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment