Pages

Eliza Lynn Taylor

Eliza Lynn Taylor
Eliza Lynn Taylor Freelance Writer

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Make Your Own Gift Baskets

Have you ever thought you'd like to make your own gift basket? I have - several times, but baskets can be expensive in themselves so I usually end up not doing it. I have on occasion found other items, however, to use for the purpose of the basket. Recently I went to see what was available at the local charity resale shop and had a V8 moment. People actually donate popcorn tins for sale. Wow, why hadn't I thought of that before? I had a friend I wanted to give an out of the ordinary gift 'basket' to and I found a really nice large Christmas themed tin for a quarter! Now, that's not to say I intended to be cheap- that wasn't the goal at all; it just worked out that way. I originally thought I could find an actual basket, but nothing seemed to fit what I needed. My friend lost her home to a fire earlier this year and along with it she lost her cookbook collection. We share that particular interest. I found a really nice hard bound cookbook put out by the local historical society. What a find! Of course that went into the basket, along with some Christmas decorations - people donate really nice ones as they get new ones- I almost got some for myself. I filled the rest with homemade goodies from the kitchen and it weighed a ton when I got through with it. I just kept coming up with stuff I wanted to put in it. My husband had to remind me not to get carried away. Those tins really hold a lot.

Think outside the box when you want to make a gift basket. They aren't just for Christmas. Try a large mixing bowl filled with small kitchen gadgets and pot holder sets for a wedding shower gift. A pretty flower vase filled with assorted candies (the recipient's favorites) makes a nice birthday gift. Stretch your imagination and you'll come up with something unique that the recipient will remember for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment